Friday, September 29, 2006

"Some people call it torture –

but its what we call home."


I wonder if The Animals were ever accused of “breddin’ ghetto”. Probably, just not in those words I guess. This has been one of my favourite songs for more years than I can remember, since I was in short pants at any rate.


The Animals – House Of The Rising Sun


Apart from ‘Boyz in the Hood’ & ‘Dopeman’ this is one of the finest Dre produkkies. Ever. The 16th note synth sound, the vocal stabs & the talkovers effortlessly inspire the dread of the title, but Dre cant help but funk it up with some slap bass. There’s a few bars at about 2min39secs where the bassline goes double time and Dre layers in some ‘choir’ keyboard sounds, when I was a kid this was the dogs bollox.


N.W.A ft. the Arabian Prince – Panic Zone


I love the sound of these tunes. You can hear Dre re-tuning the L.A “techno-hop” format into what would become the sound of ‘Straight Outta Compton’, almost in realtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home